Basic Chicken Stock
- 3 lbs. chicken wings, back, necks and bones
- Cold water as needed
- 4 Sauer's Whole Cloves
- 2 medium onions, peeled and halved
- 12 Sauer's Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 1 Sauer's Bay Leaf
- 1 Tbsp. Sauer's Parsley Flakes
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- ½ tsp. Sauer's Thyme Leaves
1. Cut the chicken wings in 3 pieces at the joints. Place the chicken parts in a large stockpot or kettle.
2. Add 14 cups cold water; bring to a boil.
3. Skim the froth from the top; add ½ cup cold water and reduce to a simmer. Skim the froth again.
4. Insert a clove into each onion half and add to the stock pot. Add remaining ingredients.
5. Simmer for 3 hours, skimming the froth when necessary.
6. Strain the stock through a fine sieve or a strainer lined with cheesecloth into a bowl; allow to cool until warm.
7. Chill the stock; remove fat collected at the top of the bowl.
8. Cover and refrigerate for storage.
To store longer than 2 days, freeze for up to 3 months.