- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup vegetable or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Brown sugar or more to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Sauer's Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. Sauer's Ground Turmeric
- ½ tsp. Sauer's Ground Mustard
- ½ tsp. Sauer's Oregano Leaves
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1-2 drops liquid smoke, if smoky sauce is desired
- 2 chickens, cut up
1. Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft, but not brown.
2. Combine remaining ingredients, except chicken, with the onion and garlic.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
4. Use right away or cool and refrigerate for use within the next 3 days.
5. While barbecuing chicken, baste with prepared sauce and serve with extra sauce on the side.