Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 Sauer's Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp. Sauer's Celery Seed
- ½ tsp. salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp. Sauer's Ground Black Pepper
- Water as needed
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 (1⅛ oz.) packages Sauer's Chicken Gravy Mix
- 1 tsp. Sauer's Thyme Leaves
- ⅛ tsp. Sauer's Garlic Powder
- 1 prepared 9-inch pie crust (see note)
1. Place chicken, onion, bay leaf, celery seeds, salt, and pepper in a large heavy saucepan; add water to cover.
2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is tender.
3. Remove chicken from broth, reserving 2 cups of broth. Remove bay leaf.
4. Cut chicken into ½-inch wide strips; place in a deep-dish 9-inch pie plate.
5. Follow package directions for cooking vegetables, except after bringing to a boil, cook only for 2 minutes; drain well.
6. Follow package directions for preparing chicken gravy mix, substituting 2 cups broth for water.
7. Add vegetables, gravy, thyme, and garlic to chicken, mixing well.
8. Place pie crust atop chicken mixture; seal edges to pie plate. Flute edge with fork; cut 4 slits in the top of the crust.
9. Bake in a preheated very hot oven (450°F) for 10 minutes.
10. Reduce temperature to moderate (350°F) and bake an additional 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
Note: prepared pie crusts are available in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.