Fresh Ricotta and Tomato Jam Crêpe Cake
Tomato Jam and Fresh Ricotta
Brown Butter Crêpes
- 7 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1¾ cups whole raw milk
- 4 large eggs
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. Sauer's Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 6¾ oz. (1½ cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
1. Blanch and shock the tomatoes and gently squeeze out the seeds and juice. Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized pieces.
2. Return the tomatoes to the saucepan and stir in the sugar, pepper, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently to ensure that the mixture is cooking evenly, until thickened.
3. Skim off foam with a large spoon.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the juice of ½ lemon.
5. Ladle the jam into clean jars. Cover tightly, let cool, and refrigerate.
1. Heat milk and cream until boiling, stirring constantly. Add salt.
2. Lower heat and add juice of 1½ lemons. Stir until soft curds form. Strain through cheesecloth. Discard the whey. Store in an airtight mason jar for a week.
Brown Butter Crêpes:
1. Using a non-stick pan, brown butter slowly on low heat, being careful not to burn. Allow butter to cool.
2. Add the flour, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the butter and milk. Using a non-stick saute pan, spray with cooking spray and pour about ¼ cup of batter into the pan.
3. Allow to brown on one side and then flip it to brown the other side (approximately 2 minutes per side on medium heat). Stack the crêpes between parchment paper and reserve for assembly.
1. To assemble, stack crêpe, ricotta, jam, crêpe, ricotta, jam, etc. The cake topper should be decorated with whipped ricotta, candied lemon peel, and halved cherry tomatoes.