- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp. Sauer's Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ cup oil
- 1 (8 oz.) container low-fat unflavored yogurt
- 1 (7 oz.) can whole-kernel corn, drained
- ¾ cup shredded monterey jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together cornmeal, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
2. Add egg whites, oil, and yogurt, mixing thoroughly. Fold in corn and cheese.
3. Spoon batter into a greased 9-inch round layer cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done and lightly browned.
To serve, cut into wedges.
Note: For a lighter texture cornbread, beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed before folding into the batter.