Spice Cake with Apple Cobbler Topping
1. Grease a 12-inch Dutch oven or a large, deep baking dish.
2. Add the apples, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and flour. Mix well, then sprinkle with walnuts.
3. Set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar. Mix in the egg, sour cream and vanilla.
3. Sift the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and salt together into a separate bowl.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture and mix thoroughly.
5. Spoon the cake batter over the apple topping, then bake until cake is nicely browned and begins to pull from the sides of the pan (a toothpick can be inserted and should be able to be removed clean), about 40 minutes.
6. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a large plate.
Serve slices of cake warm or at room temperature. Try drizzled with hot caramel sauce, if desired.