Sweet and Savory Stuffed Squash
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 acorn squashes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Sauer’s Rubbed Sage
- 2 Tbsp. butter
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membrane material. Place squash halves cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until squash begins to soften.
3. While squash is baking, combine walnuts, cranberries, apple, brown sugar and sage in a bowl.
4. Stuff the squash halves with the filling, place back on the baking sheet filling side up and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from oven, top each squash half with ½ tablespoon butter, return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until squash is tender. The flesh of the squash should be easy to penetrate with the tip of a knife.
5. Serve hot or warm.
Having trouble keeping the stuffed squash upright during the baking process? Simply tear off a piece of foil and roll it into a foil “rope.” Then form the foil rope into a circle and set the squash on top of it on the baking sheet. The squash can then rest on the foil and remain in an even and level position.