Sweet Potato Casserole Beggar’s Purses
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (¾ lb.–1 lb. each)
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened, divided
- 1½ tsp. Sauer’s Maple Extract, divided
- ¼ tsp. Sauer’s Ground Allspice
- ½ cup caramel ice cream topping, divided
- 2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 6 (13 x 9-inch) sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed in refrigerator
- ½ cup chopped pecans, divided
- ½ cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, melted to room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Rinse sweet potatoes and poke all over with fork. Seal each in plastic wrap then microwave until soft (about 8-9 minutes).
3. Cool until easy to handle, yet still hot.
4. Cut in half and scoop out pulp, measuring 1⅓ cup into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork, along with 2 tablespoons of butter cut into small pieces (microwaving if necessary to fully incorporate butter).
5. Stir in 1 teaspoon of maple extract, ¼ teaspoon allspice, 4 teaspoons caramel topping, and dark brown sugar.
6. Melt remaining butter in small bowl.
7. Place one phyllo sheet on counter (keeping others covered to prevent drying out).
8. Brush with melted butter, repeating until you have three layers.
9. Cut horizontally into two squares. Repeat the same procedure with remaining three sheets so you have four squares total.
10. Turn squares over so buttered side is facing down.
11. Spoon sweet potato mixture into center of squares, dividing evenly and spread to make a 3-inch circle.
12. Top each with 1 tablespoon of pecans then 2 tablespoons marshmallows. Gather the pastry up into a cinched purse shape.
13. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
14. Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
15. Stir remaining ½ teaspoon of maple extract into ice cream, pour a pool onto plates. Then top with hot beggar’s purses.
16. Sprinkle remaining pecans around bundles. Then drizzle all over with remaining caramel.